Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Shaheed Suhrawardy Medical College
Sher-E-Bangla Nagar, Dhaka-1207.
Faculty members Group Photo (Teachers):
The Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PMR) of Shaheed Suhrawardy medical college is one of the most esteemed, comprehensive and interdisciplinary center serving the needs of persons with diseases and disorders of the musculoskeletal and nervous system, and many other conditions that affect function and mobility. Our highly-trained physicians and specialists have innovative technologies and embraced the latest treatment techniques since we first opened our doors. We treat patients of all ages on both an inpatient and outpatient basis—from newborns to geriatrics. We also coordinate care within an interdisciplinary team that includes Physical and occupational therapists, rehabilitation nurses, social workers and speech/language pathologists. We also work closely with numerous other specialists throughout the Shaheed Suhrawardy Medical College, including surgeons, radiologists, pediatricians and primary care physicians. Our department provides teaching for undergraduate and post-graduate education.
Associate Professor 02
Assistant Professor 03
Assistant Registrar 01
Staff pattern of the department of
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Since establishment, this department provides indoor and outdoor services regularly from 8 am to 2:30 pm in a comprehensive manner with the following staff-
|Name of the post||Number||Name of the staff|
|03||Dr. Md. Shahadat Hossain|
|Dr. Jebun Nessa|
|Dr. Md. Ehsanul Haque Khan|
|Assistant Professor||01||Dr. Hasina Bilkis Banu|
|Registrar||01||Dr. Md. Mahfuzul Alam|
|Assistant Registrar||01||Dr. Md. Atikul Aziz|
Mohammad Rafiu ddin Roni
Mohammad Nazmul Islam
Md. Jahirul Islam
Md. Mofazzol Hossain
Md. Hafijur Rahman
List of Teaching Stuff
- Dr. Md. Shahadat Hossain – Associate Professor and Head of department
- Dr. Jebun Nessa – Associate Professor
- Dr. Ehsanul Haque Khan – Associate Professor
- Dr. Hasina Bilkis Banu – Assistant Professor
- Dr. Md. Mahfuzul Alam – Registr
List of Trainee
|Name of the post||Number||Name of the trainee|
|Registrar/Assistant Registrar/ Medical Officer||02||Dr. Md. Mahfuzul Alam
Dr. Md. Atikul Aziz
|Honorary Medical Officer||05||Dr. Naima Akter Dina
Dr. Fatema Newaz
Dr. Jasmine Jashim Uddin
Dr. Nuzhat Nuery
Dr. Kh. Mohammad Ali
Daily Activities in the Department
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Department, Shaheed Suhrawardy Medical College & Hospital provides services to the patients with musculoskeletal disorders, neurological problems, orthopedic rehabilitation, sports injuries, pediatric functional & developmental disorders and other specialized rehabilitation from the beginning. This Department tries to collaborate with other departments to provide comprehensive treatment facilities for the patients. We have excellent academic environment, well experience faculty members & rehab personnel with modern equipped medical rehabilitation setup. We always try to record all the academic and clinical information of the department. We have excellent multidisciplinary patient care system and structured training facilities for rehab personnel including Physiatrists who spread the subject throughout the society and try their best to make it a unique subspecialty. As a result more people will get access to this specialty as the problems of disability are increasing day by day. Our daily activities are as follows:
- Outdoor patients are seen by the doctors including specialists regularly except holy day.
- Regular indoor round for inpatients is held 8.00 am to 9.00 am.
- Patient getting comprehensive rehabilitation including physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, orthotic & prosthetic training etc. from 8.00 am to 2.30 pm.
- Referred patients from all other departments and special academic cases are seen from 8.00 am to 2.30 pm.
- From 12:00 pm to 2:30 pm other academic activities such as seminar, journal club and case presentations are going on.
- Classes with practical demonstration are taken of the students of 4th year MBBS according to their academic calendar as per schedule.
- Lecture classes for 5th year MBBS students are taken according to their academic calendar.
- Lectures and clinical classes are taken daily for doctors who are getting post graduate students regularly.
- Physiotherapists and Occupational therapists are trained up by the department doctors with regular tutorial classes.
- Two clinics are run by the department regularly:
Rheumatological Rehab & Low Back Pain Clinic – Every Saturday.
Cerebral Palsy & Neuro – Rehab Clinic – Every Wednesday.
- Patient education leaflets on various common diseases like Low Back Pain, Neck Pain, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Osteoarthritis, Osteoporosis, Frozen Shoulder etc. with specialized emphasized on rehabilitation & Activities of daily living (ADL) instructions are given the respective patients for their better management.
Outdoor patients profile of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Department, ShSMCH in 2015
ent & PhysicaThe total number of outdoor patients attending in the Department of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation have been increasing day by day. Most of the patients coming to this department from different areas of Dhaka city and also few from other parts of the country. Moreover, referred patients are also seen from departments of ShSMCH especially Medicine, Neurology, Orthopedics, Burn & Plastic Surgery, Paediatrics and Gynae department. In 2015 a total of 28629 new patients were given outdoor services. Subsequently, these patients came and had follow up treatml therapy management.
|2||Osteoarthritis of knee joint||233||240||190||250||255||225||220||195||170||262||190||240||2670||9.32%|
|10||Post traumatic stiffness||85||59||65||52||58||60||68||55||57||48||50||57||714||2.49%|
|15||Carpal tunnel syndrome||35||47||57||55||48||25||70||40||20||15||18||25||455||1.59%|
|16||Post traumatic fracture||35||40||37||42||53||42||40||39||25||22||30||32||437||1.53%|
|19||Post burn contracture||35||36||39||25||27||40||27||40||35||36||42||38||385||1.34%|
|30||Pelvic inflammatory disease||10||12||4||5||15||18||14||15||7||5||3||8||116||0.41%|
|34||Traumatic spinal cord injury||4||5||7||3||2||10||5||4||8||5||14||12||79||0.28%|
|35||Spinal canal stenosis||8||3||4||5||7||3||4||8||12||5||7||7||73||0.25%|
|38||Ulnar nerve palsy||4||3||2||5||7||4||3||2||1||10||12||4||57||0.20%|
|39||Osteoarthritis of hip joint||4||7||8||2||3||1||8||4||5||3||2||4||54||0.19%|
|40||Motor Neuron Disease||5||7||4||8||10||2||1||3||2||1||4||5||52||0.18%|
|41||Guillian barre’ syndrome||5||4||3||7||5||0||3||2||1||8||5||7||50||0.17%|
|42||Traumatic brain injury(TBI)||2||0||5||8||5||7||3||4||8||3||2||1||48||0.17%|
|44||Myofascial pain syndrome||4||3||7||5||4||0||3||2||5||7||0||2||42||0.15%|
|45||Post encephalitis with sequele||5||7||2||3||4||5||5||2||3||3||2||1||42||0.15%|
|48||Systemic lupus erythematosus||1||3||4||5||4||3||2||1||5||7||2||0||37||0.13%|
|53||Post polio syndrome||0||0||1||0||0||0||0||0||1||1||0||1||4||0.01%|
Indoor Patient Profile-2015
There are only 10 non-paying bed (5 for male & 5 for female) for Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Department in this hospital. Any number of patients may be admitted in paying bed or cabin if available. were admitted for indoor patient’s management in this department. Last year 210 patients were managed. Moreover, referred patients from other departments of ShSMCH for different musculoskeletal and neurological disorders were managed. Inpatients profile are given below-
|4||Juvenile idiopathic arthritis||2||3||2||4||0||4||0||3||5||0||4||3||30||14.29%|
|10||Post burn contracture||0||1||0||1||0||2||0||0||0||0||0||0||4||1.90%|
|13||Traumatic brain injury(TBI)||0||0||1||0||0||0||0||0||1||0||0||0||2||0.96%|
|15||Spinal cord injury||0||0||0||0||0||0||1||0||0||0||0||0||1||0.48%|
Indoor Referred patients and other facilities
A good number of referred patients from different departments of ShSMCH especially Medicine, Neurology, Neurosurgery, Orthopedics, Burn & Plastic Surgery, Paediatrics, ICU and Others. They were assessed and managed by Physiatrist and also received physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, orthosis etc. according to rehabilitation plan.
|Year||Referred from other department||Physiotherapy||Occupational Therapy||Speech Therapy||Orthosis|
a) Undergraduate teaching:
Total group placement in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Department as a ward duty in 2015-
- Batch – ShS 06 & 07
- Average tutorial classes -12 (among 15 days placement)
- Average attendance – 90%
- Average attendance to ward examination – 95%
- Percentage of passing – 98%
Physiotherapy (Technologist) students:
(Govt. /Other Private institutions)
- Lecture /Tutorial classes
- Physical Therapy Practical Demonstrations
- b) Postgraduate teaching:
FCPS part-II students
- Lecture classes
- Case Presentation/Assessment
- c) Seminars in 2015:
- i) Departmental:
- Ankylosing Spondylitis – Management Update
- Osteoarthritis of Knee & Hip
- Chronic Cancer Pain
- Stroke Rehabilitation
- Cerebral Palsy
- Duchene Muscular Dystrophy
- Rehabilitation of Knee Arthoplasty
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Motor Neuron Disease
- Motor Neuron Disease Rehabilitation
- Cervical Myelopathy
- Gout & Psudogout
- Peripheral Neuropathy
ii) Central Seminar Presentation:
|01||03.09.2015||A 60 year old man with chronic low back pain||Dr. Md. Mahfuzul Alam|
|02||15.02.2015||Spondylodiscitis||Dr. Md. Mahfuzul Alam|
iii) CME Presentation
|01||Scientific meeting for CME & CPD.||Dr. Jebun Nessa|
|02||Therapies for Active RA after MTX Failure.||Dr. Hashina Bilkish Banu|
|03||Treatment of Trigger finger: randomized clinical trial, comparing the methods of corticosteroid injection, percutaneous release and open surgery.||Dr. Hashina Bilkish Banu
|04||Some ACL tears may not need quick surgery.||Dr. Hashina Bilkish Banu|
- iv) Presentation on Different Institution
|01||Presentation on Medical Rehabilitation.||BSMMU||Dr. Md. Shahadat Hossain|
|01||Approach in Low Back pain.||APB||Dr. Ehsanul Haque Khan|
|02||Rehabilitation of Parkinson’s Disease, BAPMRCON.||BSMMU||Dr. Ehsanul Haque Khan|
d) Journal club in 2015: Total -12.
e) Grand round: Total-42.
f) List of Research Work:
- Efficacy of low level laser therapy in the management of lateral epicondylitis (tennis elbow)- Dr. Md. Shahadat Hossain
- Effectiveness of provision of an educational booklet for the management of patients with Chronic Low Back Pain – A randomized clinical trial- Dr. Md. Shahadat Hossain.
- Clinical Pattern of Thoracic Spine Pain (TSP)- Dr. Md. Mahfuzul Alam.
- Impact of constraint induced movement therapy (CIMT) on upper limb motor function of post stroke survivors- Dr. Naima Akhter Dina.
i) World Arthritis Day—October 12, 2015
Slogan: “It’s in your hands, take action.”
ii) World Osteoporosis day- October 20, 2015
Slogan: “Serve Up Bone Strength.”
iii) World Disability Day- December 3, 2015
Theme for 2015:
iv) World Stroke Day- October 29, 2015
Theme for 2015: “I am Woman”
- 2nd International Rehabilitation Forum World Conference, Dhaka. Bangladesh.(2-4 December,2012)
- International Society of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Conference, Germany (June, 2015)
- Training on Muscular ultrasound in Hongkong-2015.
- International Conference on Pain Management, India-2015.
Total articles in journal published: 2
- Effect of SWD in the management of Pelvic Inflammatory Disease; Shoma FK, Mahmood K, Hossain MS.
- Adverse effects associated with sulphasalazine in chronic plaque type psoriasis; Hossain MS et al.)
Facilities available in the department:
Regarding patients management the following facilities are available in Physical Medicine department:
- Micro Wave Diathermy (MWD)
- Ultra Sound Therapy (UST)
- Infra Red Radiation (IRR)
- Wax Bath
- Short Wave Diathermy (SWD)
- Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS)
- Static Bicycle
- N-K Tables
- Walking Aids
- Para Walker
- Parallel Bar with & without stairs
- IT-Curve Machine
- Arm Ergo meter
- Wrist Mobilizer
- Abduction ladder
- Overhead Pulley
- CP facilities with toys & instruments.
- Occupational therapy
B) Therapeutic Exercise
Different exercises & transfer activities prescribed by the doctors are demonstrated by the physiotherapist to the patients and their care givers/ attendants
Any achievements by doctors of concerned unit:
Three FCPS Part-II students obtained FCPS (Physical Medicine) degree who were trained in this department.
- Extension of Therapeutic gymnasium in a large unit.
- Establishment of a therapeutic exercise subway.
- More availability of therapeutic instruments and more easy access to all.