Department of Gatroenterology
Shaheed Suhrawardy Medical College &Hospital
Sher-E-Bangla Nagar, Dhaka-1207.
Faculty members Group Photo (Teachers):
The Department of Gastroenterologyis one of the most essential departmentsof ShaheedSuhrawardy medical college serving the people suffering from gastroinetestinal, liver and pancreatic diseases.It is enriched with highly qualified faculties, devoted working residents and other ancillary stuffs who are working as a catenary team. The patientsare taken care of by this department both onindoor and outdoor basis. All modern equipment for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes of GI diseases are available in this department. Endoscopy, colonoscopy, ERCP, Double balloon endoscopy, Endosonography are done on regular basis. Gastroenterologicalpart of Medicine for both undergraduate and post-graduate courses are taught by the teachers of this department. A number of researches on recent issues in gastroenterological problems are carried out by the faculties of this department
Associate Professor 01
Assistant Professor 02
Assistant Registrar 01
Medical officer 02
Staff pattern of the department
Since establishment, this department provides indoor and outdoor services regularly in a comprehensive manner with the following staff-
|Name of the post||Number||Name of the staff|
|Professor||01||Prof AHM Rowshon|
|Associate Professor||02||Dr. Sayeda Rahim
Dr. Mohammad Mahmuduzzaman
|Assistant Professor||02||Dr. Dilip Kumar Ghosh
Dr. Mohammad EnamulKarim
|Registrar||01||Dr. Md. AnisurRahman|
|Assistant Registrar||01||Dr. MdAlamgirHossain|
|Medical officer||01||Dr. Habib Ahmed|
List of Teaching Stuff
|Prof. AHM Rowshon||MBBS, FCPS (Medicine)
|Dr. Sayeda Rahim||MBBS, MD (Gastroenterology)||Associate
|Dr. Mohammad Mahmuduzzaman||MBBS, MD (Gastroenterology)||Associate
|Dr. Dilip Kumar Ghosh||MBBS, FCPS (Medicine)
|Dr. Mohammad EnamulKarim||MBBS, FCPS (Medicine)
|Dr. Atiqul Islam||FCPS (Medicine)||Consultant|
|Dr. AnisurRahman||MBBS, MD (Gastroenterology)||Registrar|
|Dr. Habib Ahmed||MBBS, MD (Gastroenterology)||Medical Officer|
List of Trainee
|Name of the post||Number||Name of the trainee|
|Registrar/Assistant Registrar/ Medical Officer/Resident||04||DrAtiqul Islam
Dr. Habib Ahmed
|Honorary Medical Officer||01||Dr. Samira AfrozaRahman|
Daily Activities in the Department
Department of Gastroenterology,ShaheedSuhrawardy Medical College & Hospital provides services to the patients with gastrointestinal, liver and pancreatic diseases. Out door services are available and professors and consultants visit patients everyday. A good number of patients are getting the indoor facilities as well. This Department tries to collaborate with other departments to providecomprehensive treatment facilities for the patients. We have excellent academic environment,well qualified experienced faculty members with all modern equipment. All the academic and clinical information of the department are recorded regularly. Our daily activities are as follows:
- Outdoor patients are seen by the professors regularly on working days.
- Regular indoor round for admitted patients.
- Endoscopy and colonoscopy are done everyday from 9.00 am to 2.30 pm.
- ERCP, Double Balloon Enteroscopy, Endosonography are done regularly.
- Referred patients from all other departments and special academic cases are seen as and when refers to.
- Academic activities such as seminar, journal club and case presentations are carried out on regular schedules.
- Classes of theclinical students MBBS according to their academic calendar as per schedule.
- Lecture classes for 5th year MBBS students are taken according to their academic calendar.
- Lectures and clinical classes are taken daily for doctors who are getting post graduate students regularly.
- Patients suffering from Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C are followed up on schedule days.
- Patients suffering from IBD and other critical gastrointestinal diseases are followed up regularly.
Outdoor patients profile of Gastroenterology Department, ShSMCHin 2015
The total number of outdoor patients attending in theDepartment of Gastroenterology have been increasing day by day. Most of the patients coming to this department from different areas of Dhaka city and also few from other parts of the country. Moreover, referred patients from departments of ShSMCH are also seen. In 2015 a total of 7355patients were given outdoor services.
|Name of the month||Number of patient|
Indoor Patient Profile-2015
There are only 5 non-paying bed (3 for male & 2 for female) for the department of Gastroenterology in this hospital. Patients are also admitted in non paying extra bed on demand. Any number of patients may be admitted in paying bed or cabin if available. Last year,432 patients were managed. Moreover, referred patients from other departments of ShSMCH for different gastrointestinal problems were managed. Inpatients profile are given below-
|Name of the month||Number of patient|
Diagnostic and therapeutic Procedure of Gastroenterology Department, ShSMCH in 2015
|Name of the procedure||Number of patient|
|Upper GI endoscopy||2728|
|Endoscopic Band ligation||405|
|Savary Gillard dilatation||15|
|Endoscopic foreign body removal||20|
|Pneumatic Balloon Dilatation||12|
|Double Balloon Enteroscopy||36|
|ERCP and intervention||49|
a) Undergraduate teaching:
10 lectures were taken for the students of 5th year.
Bed side clinical teaching are carried out for the student of 4th and 5th year.
b) Postgraduate teaching:
FCPS part-II students
- Case Presentation/Assessment
- Lecture classes
c) Seminars in 2015:
- Hepatitis B Virus- Management Update
- Hepatitis C Virus- Management Update
- Primary Biliary Cirrhosis- Recent update
- Approach to a patient of obstructive jaundice
- Difficulties in canulation in ERCP
- Stenting in obstructive jaundice
- Antithrombotic and Anticoagulant in GI procedures.
- Indication of Ursodeoxycholic acid in Hepatobiliary disease
- Update management of acute pancreatitis
- Update management of chronic pancreatitis
- Management of non cirrhotic portal hypertension
- Recent update of management of Upper GI bleeding
- Recent update of management of lower GI bleeding
- Gastrointestinal causes of weight loss
- Evaluation of patient suffering from malabsorption syndrome
- Approach to a patient of chronic diarrhea
- Approach to a patient of chronic constipation
- Approach to a patient of dysphagia
- Approach to a patient of dyspepsia
- Approach to a patient of vomiting
- Recent update management of peptic ulcer disease
- Update management of GI malignancy
ii) Central Seminar Presentation :
|01||03.09.2015||A 75 year old man with hepatosplenomegaly.||Dr. Aminul Islam|
iii) Central Journal Club presentation:
|01||03.09.2015||Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in 2015: Published in World Journal of Hepatology, June 18, 2015.||Dr. Mohammad EnamulKarim|
iv) Central CME Presentation
|01||Approach to large group teaching||Prof. AHM Rowshon|
|02||Diet Modification at Ramadan||Dr. Dilip Kumar Ghosh|
v) Presentation on Different Institution
|01||Management update of Peptic Ulcer Disease||BGS||Prof. AHM Rowshon|
|02||Approach to a patient of Malabsoption Syndrome||APB||Prof. AHM Rowshon|
|03||Management of GI Disease in Pregnancy||BGS||Dr. Sayeda Rahim|
|04||Update Management of Hepatitis C Virus||Khulna Medical College||Prof. AHM Rowshon|
|05||Recent update of Peptic Ulcer Disease||Jessore Medical College||Prof. AHM Rowshon|
|06||Fecal Microbiota transplantation||BGS||Prof. AHM Rowshon|
|07||Human Gut Micorbiota||BGS||Dr. Dilip Kumar Ghosh|
d) Journal club presentation in Department : Total -12.
e) Grand round in Department: Total-52.
- International coeiliac Day – May 16, 2015
- World IBD Day May 19 May, 2015
- World Digestive Health Day—May 29, 2015
- World Hepatitis Day July 28, 2015
- World PBC Day – September 14, 2015
- World Pancreatic Cancer Day- November 17, 2015
Facilities available in the department:
Regarding patients management the following facilities are available in department of Gastroenterology:
A) Diagnostic Procedure:
- Endoscopy of Upper of GIT
- Double Balloon Enteroscopy
B) Therapeutic Procedures:
- Intervention by ERCP
- Endoscopic Band ligation
- Pneumatic Balloon Dilatation
- Savary Gillard Dilatation of Oesophagus
- Endoscopic polypectomy
- Endoscopic Haemostasis
- Haemostasis by Double Balloon Enteroscopy
- Endoscopic foreign body removal
- Extension of facilities of interventional procedures.
- To establish this department as a center of excellence of both in academic and clinical aspect.
- To introduce an establish academic courses for manpower development in the field of Gastroenterology