Department of Microbiology
Shaheed Suhrawardy Medical College
Sher-e-Bangla Nagar, Dhaka-1207
Faculty members Group Photo (Teachers):
1. Name of the Department: Department of Microbiology
2. List of the Teachers:
|Serial no.||Name of Teacher||Designation||Contact no.||Address|
|1||Prof. Dr. Md. Rafiqul Islam||Professor & Head||01715283112||Flat no 3/301, Eastern Panthachhaya, House no 152/2/G/1-2, West Panthapath, Green Road, Kalabagan, Dhaka|
|2||Dr. Aliya Rashid||Associate Professor||01675262599||Bashiruddin road, Kalabagan, Dhaka|
|3||Dr. Shamshad Jahan Sumu||Assistant Professor||01743969579||House no-13/2, road no-1, block B, section 12; Mirpur Dhaka.|
|4||Dr. Ripon Barua||Assistant Professor||01191818137||10/E/1, Aziz Mohalla, Madrasa road bylane, Mohammadpur, Dhaka-1207.|
|5||Dr. Md. Saiful Islam||Lecturer||01711106875||57/3 Pantha Ciesta, West Panthapath, Green Road, Dhaka|
|6||Dr. Soma Sarker||Lecturer||01732561229||44/4, 45, Chamelibag, Shantinogor, Dhaka 1217|
|7||Dr. Rownak Jahan||Lecturer||01711045346||401/A North Kazipara, Mirpur, Dhaka 1216|
|8||Dr. Mst. Naznin Tarana||Lecturer||01718077220||House-57, Road-5, Mansurabad, housing, Adabar, Shamoly, Dhaka.|
|9||Dr. Rashida Akter Khanam||Lecturer||01712102439||NSBMamtaz Garden, 438/2A Senpara Parbata, Mirpur-10, Dhaka-1216|
3. (A) List of services offered by the department:
• Delivering lectures to medical students (MBBS).
• Delivering lectures to dental students (BDS).
• Conducting tutorial and practical classes of medical students (MBBS).
• Conducting tutorial and practical classes of dental students (BDS).
• Conducting different term examinations of medical students (MBBS).
• Conducting different term examinations of dental students (BDS).
• Conducting professional examinations of MBBS student of Dhaka University.
• Conducting professional examinations of Dental student of Dhaka University.
• Conducting classes of post graduate medical students of different disciplines.
• Conducting morning session in the department.
• Weekly evaluation and discussion of microbiological slides.
• Training of the B.Sc Laboratory Technology course students and their assessment.
• Participation of the central journal club and clinical meeting.
• Participation of the CME and CPD programme.
• Participation of different training/workshop as directed by higher authority.
• Monitoring microbiology laboratory works (staining, microscopy, culture & sensitivity, serology etc in Biosafety level- 2 lab).
• Doing research works.
• Assisting post graduate medical students for their thesis/dissertation works.
• Collaboration of research work of other department of this institute and also from other institute.
3. (B) Laboratory services
• Gram staining, Z-N staining, Leishman stainimg, Giemsa staining and other staining
• Wet mount preparation of fungus, CSF, pleural fluid, ascitic fluid, pericardial fluid and other body fluids
• Culture and sensitivity testing of different specimens (Blood, Sputum, Pus, Stool, Urine,Throat swab, Wound swab, Uro-genital discharge/swab, Conjunctival swab, CSF, other Body fluids)
• Serological tests
• VDRL (Qualitative and Qualitative)
• WIDAL test
• Rheumatoid Factor (RF/RA)
• Anti Streptolysin O (ASO)
• C-Reactive Protein (CRP)
• ICT for Syphilis
• ICT for HBsAg
• ICT for Anti HCV
• ICT for Malaria (P.V and P.F)
• ICT for Filaria
• ICT for Kala-azar
• ICT for Dengue (IgG and IgM)
• ICT for HIV (1+2)
• Other immunological tests
• Triple Antigen/Febrile Antigen
• Biochemical tests of different specimens
• Catalase test
• Coagulase test
• Oxidase test
• Other tests
• Examination of aspirated material from
• Bone marrow
• Lymph nodes
• Other specimens
• Semen Analysis
• Examination of Stool
• Examination of Urine
• Peripheral blood film (PBF) examination for Parasitic diseases
3. (C) Collaborative services
• Conducting medical checkup of job seekers to abroad
• Medical checkup of job seekers to Malaysia through G2G programme
4. Patient data for the year 2015 compared to 2014:
|Service provided from Departmental Laboratory||2014||2015|
|Total number of patients||2491||3582|
|Slit skin smear for LD bodies (Giemsa stain)||22||17|
|Wet mounting (skin, nail, hair) for fungus||486||950|
|Wet film preparation of CSF||05||02|
|Wet film preparation of body fluids||03||05|
|Culture and sensitivity testing||1121||1436|
|Rheumatoid Factor (RF/RA)||82||136|
|Anti Streptolysin O (ASO)||111||144|
|C-Reactive Protein (CRP)||136||124|
|Immunochromatography test (ICT)||220||433|
|Triple Antigen/Febrile Antigen||00||55|
5. List of ongoing research 2015 (all staff) with titles:
i. Prof. Dr. Md. Rafiqul Islam, Dr. Rownak Jahan, Dr. Naznin Tarana. Isolation and monitoring of Antimicrobial Susceptibility Pattern (AST) of Pseudomonas, Staphylococcus and E.coli in all microbiological samples in patients attending at Shaheed Suhrawardy Medical College Hospital, Dhaka.
6. List of publications 2015 (all staff) with titles:
Dr. Rownak Jahan
a. Jahan R, Tarafder S, Saleh AA, Miah MRA. Identification of Legionella from clinically diagnosed pneumonia patients and environmental samples. Bangladesh Med Res Counc Bull 2015; 41(1). 24-28.
b. Jahan R, Tarafder S, Haque A. Aetiological agents of Adult bacterial pneumonia patients admitted at a tertiary care hospital in Dhaka city. J of Shaheed Suhrawardy Med Coll 2015; 7(1): 22-25.
7. List of attendance & presentation (all staff, home & abroad) in seminar & symposia:
i. Prof. Dr. Md. Rafiqul Islam
a) Seminar on Promoting Biosafety and Biosecurity in Bangladesh. CDC, DGHS, Mohakhali, Dhaka. Date: 20.12.2015.
b) Dissemination Workshop on Need assessment of Biosafety and Infection Control. IEDCR, DGHS, Mohakhali, Dhaka. Date: 26.12.2015.
c) Consultative meeting on vaccine preventable diseases in adults. CDC, DGHS, Mohakhali, Dhaka. Date: 30.12.2015.
ii. Dr. Shamshad Jahan Shumu
a) Training on Epidemiological Survey of Health Status, National Institute of Preventive and Social Medicine, Mohakhali, Dhaka, Bangladesh
b) Workshop on Molecular Diagnostics, Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University, Shahbag, Dhaka, Bangladesh
c) Training on Teaching Methodology & Assessment, Centre for Medical Education, DGHS, Mohakhali, Dhaka, Bangladesh
d) Training on Research Methodology, Director General of Health Services, Mohakhali, Dhaka, Bangladesh
e) Seminar on Promoting Biosafety and Biosecurity in Bangladesh. CDC, DGHS, Mohakhali, Dhaka. Date: 21.12.2015
iii. Dr. Rownak Jahan
a) Hands on training on “Antimicrobial Susceptibility test (AST)”, Organized by: Disease Control Unit, CDC, DGHS, Venue: Dept of Microbiology, IPH,Mohakahli, Dhaka. Date: 07-12-2015 to 10-12-2015
b) Seminar on Promoting Biosafety and Biosecurity in Bangladesh. CDC, DGHS, Mohakhali, Dhaka. Date: 21.12.2015.
c) Workshop on develops manpower in health research by using “Learning by Doing” methods. Bangladesh Medical Research Council, BMRC Bhaban, Mohakhali, Dhaka from 25-01-2015 to 19-03-2015.
iv. Dr. Mst. Naznin Tarana
Training on Medical Biotechnology – DGHS, Mohakhali, Dhaka, Bangladesh on 6.12.2015- 7.12.15
v. Dr. Soma Sarker
Training on Medical Biotechnology – DGHS, Mohakhali, Dhaka, Bangladesh on 06.03.2015- 20.03.15
8. Future plans if any in the department:
The department will serve as standard microbiology center with full range of equipments that support the diagnostic needs of the institute. Hopefully all types of immunological diagnostic work-up by ELISA and PCR will be introduced in this department provided the equipments are supplied by higher authorities.
9. List of trainee:
1. 4th year Bsc in Health Technology (Laboratory) course students from various institutions
2. Students of FCPS,MD,MS for their Thesis/Dissertation work
10. Anything else, the department wants to mention:
Our mission is to co-ordinate and integrates all of the Diagnostic effort of ShSMC into a comprehensive program. We are constantly inspired by the teams that work together for this vital cause. Through the continued generosity of friends and partners we will be able to continue to make strides towards conquering disease diagnosis. We are grateful everyday for the collective work that is done and for the gracious support we receive.
Prof. Dr. Md. Rafiqul Islam
Professor & Head
Department of Microbiology
Shaheed Suhrawardy Medical College
Sher-e-Bangla Nagar, Dhaka.